Friday, January 27, 2012

We Have a Plan

Today I went to see the radiation/oncologist, Dr. L, and we made a game plan for treating this lymphoma.  He said all types of lymphoma are very responsive to radiation and chemo therapy.  But since mine is localized to one area on my skin, systemic chemo is not necessary.  His plan is to treat the area and about an inch and a half wide area around (to be sure there are no "fingers" of bad cells) with radiation.  He said it will not be a very deep penetrating radiation, which means it should have little effect on my internal stuff, like my ovaries.  I will go in for a "getting set up" appointment where they make a mold for my body to lie in so they can get exactly the angle they need to effectively treat the entire area.  He plans to do the treatment for 4 weeks, 5 days a week.  He said I'll spend more time waiting for my turn and getting set up then actually getting the treatment.  He said that I should expect some red, sore skin during the treatment.  (Thank goodness leggings are in style right now.)  Then about a week after the last treatment the redness and swelling should get better, leaving me with a tanned looking area that will fade like a sun tan fades.  Then we will monitor the result and follow up as needed. 

Since I am not in a dire situation with this lymphoma and because it is not systemic, I won't get started until February 20th.  I know that seems far off, but it really is only about 3 weeks away.  Now don't judge me here, or do, but there is something coming up that I just need to get done before I start my treatment.  Vacation!  Shad and I are going on a long awaited (like 5 years in the making) trip to Maui in 2 weeks.  Dr. L thought it would be good to go before starting the radiation.  He actually said that I need to go.  I know it seems kind of silly to be worried about a vacation when I was just told last week that I have lymphoma, but I think it's good for us to go also.  This stuff has been on my body for a long time, it'll still be here when we get back.  Not to mention the trip is already paid for and the hotel deal we got is not refundable if it's cancelled.  Of course, if I start to see any new patches or my lymph nodes started to feel enlarged my plans would change.

So that's our plan.  It's nice to have one and know that things are moving forward.  I am going to keep relying on God to give me peace and not worry over every little ache, pain or blemish on my body.  And I an going to go to Maui and enjoy my husband before the next phase begins.  Thank you for your continued prayers, I can feel the love.


post signature

2 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

I love having a plan. I especially love when a plan includes Hawaii. I'm glad for you--for both of those reasons. Do you know if it will affect you in other ways? Fatigue, nausea, etc?

woosterweester said...

I second Jen's comment! Hawaii is JUST what you need. Just got back in town early this morning. I was praying for you and so glad to hear the good news, but I too am interested in hearing the answer to Jen's last questions. Love ya!

We're Going to Bulgaria...Soon

When we were filling out our adoption applications 4 years ago, we had no idea what we were getting in to.  And as we have been waiting for ...