Sunday, May 18, 2014

18 Years in the Making

After 18 years of marriage, Shad and I finally decided it was time to replace the cheap, old mattress we have been sleeping on.  When we were at the mattress store we reminisced about where we bought our mattress and how we chose the one we did.  Neither one of us could even remember if we laid on the mattress to test it out, or if it was cheap so we bought it.  Needless to say, our $200ish mattress had run it’s course after 18 years and our bodies were feeling it.  I have been waking up with back aches and hip aches for a little while few years and Shad has started having back aches also.  There have been some nights that I would wake up after lying on my side for a long time and I could hardly roll over from the pain in my hip. 

We have been talking about a new mattress, seriously, for about a year now.   That is not to say that the subject has not been coming up for even longer.  I have noticed since I was pregnant with Bethany that our mattress has some serious holes in it.  My tush and shoulders had dents that were the exact shape of my body.  We have flipped and rotated the mattress so many times that, no matter which way we put it, we would end up in a hole of some kind.  Why have we put it off for so long, you ask?  This is why:

IMG_9686

Once you spend an hour at the mattress store lying on random beds while some guy talks to you about the many wonderful features and advancements of mattresses now a days while your kids are making giant piles of pillows on top of another bed and nearly rolling off onto the floor.  Once your kids have used up all the electricity the store has folding them selves up in the movable bed.  Once you have gone back and forth between two mattresses trying to decide which on is more comfy only to realize that they are both the same.  Once you have told the guy 3 times that you do not want to buy the mattress cover that he HIGHLY recommends because your body loses a liter of fluid every 8 hours (gross!).  Once you drive across town to pick up your new mattress set so you don’t have to pay a delivery fee.  Once you drive down the freeway with the front of your mattress folded over so far from the wind that you think you will soon have a mattress like the ones the kids were folding themselves up in at the store.  And, once you get home and drag that bad boy up the stairs and get it all set up…it looks exactly like it did before.  It’s like buying tires for your car. BORING!

(Not to mention, mattresses are not cheap!)

 

IMG_9687

There was a lot of bed swapping going on yesterday.  Hannah inherited our old, super comfy mattress for her room.  So now when we have visitors they can have Hannah’s room and enjoy a good nights sleep in our body holes.  Who’s coming for a slumber party?!  Anyone?  Anyone?

**crickets**

On a side note: just as we got her new bed set up, she came to me looking distraught and said she wasn’t sure if she wanted the big bed because she couldn’t fit her flower sheets and quilt that her Grandma Connie made for her on the big bed.  As she was saying this to me she was slowly melting and a the end of her sentence, she slid down the wall and cried.  It was so sad.  So I let her pick whatever big fitted sheet she wanted (we don’t have any pink, cute ones) and she put her twin sized top sheet and quilt that Grandma Connie made for her on her bed.  All was well after that. 

Maybe Grandma Connie would be so kind as to make Hannah a new, pretty, queen sized quilt for her new bed?????

IMG_9694

Bethany inherited Hannah’s twin bed.  She has been sleeping in her crib like a day bed since we took the front off of it a little over a year ago.  She has yet to sleep in her new big girl bed as all 3 kids had a slumber party in Hannah’s room last night.

IMG_9696

And just so Josh wouldn’t feel left out, we took the soft pad off of Hannah’s (now Bethany’s) bed and gave it to Josh.  Yes, he made his bed all by himself…can you tell?

IMG_9697

This has nothing to do with beds, I just wanted everyone to see the Lego extravaganza that we live with at our house.  The deal is that he keeps the blanket on his floor and has to keep all of his Legos on the blanket and then he doesn’t have to slide the boxes under his bed.  This is a very rare moment right here.  Because he likes to push the envelope a bit, his idea of keeping his Legos on the blanket is keeping most of the loose ones on the blanket and having his assembled creations all over the rest of his floor with some random loose pieces thrown in the mix.  I mean seriously, “it’s not my room, so why should I care how messy it is?!”

IMG_9686

We had our first night of sleep on our new hybrid, bottom half pocketed springs, top half memory foam, mattress last night.  It’s kind of magical because I don’t  just lay on top of the mattress, every part of my body is touching it at the same time.  I can’t slide my hand beneath the small of my back anymore.  I think that may be a good thing, right?  I swore I would not get memory foam because I have slept on it in hotels and it is super hot.  The guy assured us that that is one of the advancements of mattresses.  They put some kind of gel in them now that is supposed to let them breath so they don’t get too warm to sleep in.  I don’t think I was any more hot last night than I usually am.  My hips were only slightly sore this morning and my back didn’t hurt at all.  I think we may be on to something.  Shad was not as impressed as I, but not appalled either.  He was kind of indifferent about it.  I guess we have 100 days to decide if we like sleeping on a cloud or if we want to return it for something more like sleeping on piece of ply wood.  Our poorly adjusted bodies may not be able to handle true comfort.  We may have abused them for too long.

 

post signature


No comments:

We're Going to Bulgaria...Soon

When we were filling out our adoption applications 4 years ago, we had no idea what we were getting in to.  And as we have been waiting for ...